Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Midway, Utah - "A small town with Swiss character" or not

Yesterday we visited the town of Midway, Utah which claims to have a connection to Switzerland. While the town residents all seem to be very friendly and some do in fact have Swiss descendants, that's about where the Swissness stops. Outside of 2 Swiss flags in peoples' front yards and Swiss types of cheese in a grocery store called "The Store" (as an aside this is one of the best grocery stores I have ever been in and the meat from Meier's which is sold there is nothing short of exceptional). Midway mentions on the town website that they are a sister city to Trubschachen in the Emmental region of Switzerland. Well my suggestion for the suggestion box would be that they consult their Swiss colleagues about what being Swiss is all about and what "Swissness" is. It only gets worse when you visit the Zermatt resort which also claims to be Swiss in style. We went there to have lunch and first stopped in the gift shop. When Joe told the young salesclerk that we were actually from Switzerland she couldn't even fake any interest in this piece of information. They were selling music CDs however they were all German and Austrian. So we went into the hotel where all the employees were dressed in uniforms from Austria and Bavaria! As we were eating (also nothing really Swiss on the menu)I noticed that next to the American flag which was flying in front of the hotel there was a second flag that I didn't recognize. So curious as I am I went to the front desk and asked what flag this is. All three employees standing there said that they had no idea and that I should ask the bellman. I did this and was told that it was either from Austria or Lichtenstein. When I asked where the Swiss flag was as they are calling themselves a Swiss hotel I was told that they used to have one but it was taken down for "some reason". I hate to be picky or difficult but this is simply laziness on the part of the hotel and it honestly shows a complete lack of pride in their business. I wonder how much effort it would take to provide their employees with basic information on Switzerland, add real Swiss items to the menu, offer real Swiss products in the gift shop or at the very least fly the Swiss flag. So in the end you get the feeling that the whole Swiss theme is simply marketing backed up by zero interest in Switzerland.

1 comment:

  1. I generally find those comparisons very interesting and conclusive about how we perceive things. Swiss, Bavarian, Austrian - I guess people think everything alpine must be the same, just as what you said earlier about people from Chicago - or not. I remember how many times I was asked when I lived in South Africa about the song "Edelweiss" from the movie about the Trapp family, and everybody beeing very surprised that I didn't even know the song or hadn't seen the film (never mind that it's an American film with a British actress about an Austrian family, or so I think...). And who sets the standards, anyway? Why do they call that mountain in Namibia "Spitzkoppe, Matterhorn of Namibia" and not the one in Zermatt "Matterhorn, Spitzkoppe of Switzerland"? Or in Ouray CO "Switzerland of America" and not somewhere in the Swiss alps "Colorado of Switzerland"...?

    ReplyDelete