Monday, June 13, 2011

Here in the US, it's not a dog's life

The subject of dogs is a relatively schizophrenic one in the US. I have had multiple people tell me that they prefer four-legged "children" to the two-legged ones. I want to go on record and say that I do not consider my dog to be my child. However for a country that seems to be full of people who love dogs, the freedom of these animals is extremely limited. We don't need to go down the road of why dogs aren't allowed in restaurants or on restaurant patios again. However is it necessary to ban dogs from trails in the national parks and forests? As pets are allowed into these areas in vehicles, what do the individuals in charge expect one to do with their pet when visiting such places? The policy doesn't seem logical or humane to me. The problems encountered with dogs seem to originate at the other end of the leash.

Speaking of leashes, we had a problem at an RV park recently. While we were getting set up, Nera was off her leash sitting next to the picnic table. All of the sudden the park "host", a woman about 75, came out of her RV and yelled "Get that dog on a leash". No "Excuse me your dog needs to be on a leash"' or "I just want to remind you that our policy requires your dog to be on a leash" etc. We were wrong but how about a little civility or style? Plus if you want to be a host, you might want to try a little politeness. Goes a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment