Friday, May 20, 2011

Uh, oh....

Due to weather conditions we had to change our travel route to Salt Lake. So I asked if we could check out the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado which is where Stephen King was inspired to write "The Shining". This hotel claims to be haunted and as this is right up my alley. I wanted to stay there if possible. Right after college I had the opportunity to stay at the Octagon House (also reputed to be haunted) in upstate New York and will never forget that experience. Well we were able to get a room in the Manor House but not the main building as we are traveling with our dog and dogs aren't allowed in the main hotel. We were told though that there was also haunted activity in this building. Well all I can say is that I am a believer! During the night I continued to hear loud knocking on the wall behind my head and at one point I felt someone / something pulling on my right leg. Funny enough the dog was very nervous and refused to eat or drink any water. I woke up at 4:59 and the dog was trying to get out of the room! After Joe woke up he told me that Nera, our dog, was barking in the middle of the night and was very afraid. Funny enough I hadn't heard this and I am normally very tuned into her behavior. Plus she is very used to staying in hotels so this behavior was not normal. The whole vibe in this building is odd. As in the movie, almost all the public rooms are empty and in the Manor House I believe we were almost the only guests. Add to this the fact that the door to our hotel room as was standing open when we checked in but there was no maid or any other person in the hallway. So if you are looking to creep yourself out, this is the place to visit. On to the next adventure!

1 comment: