Sunday, May 15, 2011

I Have Seen the Present & It Doesn't Work

Wednesday we spent the night at the Ramada in Casper, Wyoming. As we were checking in I saw a sign for that evening's "Lingerie Fashion Show". For me truly a "What the hell?!?" moment. People this is 2011 not 1965 or some cheesy episode of "Mad Men". If you can believe it my 81 year old father used to get to enjoy these "highbrow" events during business lunches in the 1960s. Well the bar was chock full of men eagerly buying raffle tickets to win one of these superb outfits. All I kept thinking about was the look of dread that would appear on the lucky recipient's face as she received this super cheesy, cheap negligee. Myself, I would probably ask if my husband / boyfriend couldn't find his way to Victoria's Secret for something really pretty & wearable. These outfits weren't cheap in terms of price but looked like some cheap male Hustler fantasy. Add to that the fact that most of the models weren't going to be giving Heidi Klum a run for her money anytime soon. I was informed that most of the ladies were "single moms" as if this is some sort of qualification for this type of job or this was their only option. This all rocked my world.

People all keep mentioning all the interesting people we'll be meeting. True enough but I'd say 99% of all communication has to do with the Earth Roamer or the dog. Yesterday a guy was actually kind of dissing the RV at the truck stop. When he realized Joe actually owned it he said "my bad". These people are killing me.

Lastly, as friendly as American are in general, people almost never greet each other. I have been spending a lot of time in the laundry room here at the RV park and people enter without even acknowledging me. When I say hello, they don't respond. Okay, whatever.

1 comment:

  1. HI Sue,
    See - You can't make this stuff up - no one would believe you! This is one instance when thankfully, you have no room in the RV for 'shopping' (but I know that Joe knows better anyway).

    Don't give up on saying hello. We can always use more 'greetings', maybe it will have an impact on others even if they don't reply!
    Keep smiling!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete