Friday, May 27, 2011

I'm Coming Undone

Today was a true test for me in the Earth Roamer. We decided (or should I say Joe wanted to and I didn't refuse) to go off-road. This is not really my thing but I didn't want to be the wet blanket or party pooper so I went along. Well after what seemed like an eternity driving over bad bumps, driving up and over steep inclines with no sign of a normal road on the horizon, we were "rescued" by two elderly men in a red jeep. The one man said we had no hope of making it any further, that if we did it would have to be the 8th Wonder of the World. It seems roads are ranked from 1 to 10 and we were already on a 6 with the upcoming terrain being even more treacherous! Honestly as I was praying that we make it out alive, I believe that these men were angels or good samaritans sent to us in the nick of time. The one said he had served in WWII and had spent time in Zurich in the 1950's. He has been friends with the man he was traveling with since they were 5 or 6 yeas old. It was really amazing to meet them and they said they regularly help tourists out of a bind in this area, Arches National Park. In the aftermath with the Earth Roamer getting slightly damaged and our relationship suffering slightly, we have decided to plan our off-road adventures a little more carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment