Monday, May 9, 2011

Learning, or better said, re-learning the ropes

Before I left Switzerland I had a funny conversation at the American Women's Club regarding the so-called Wal-Mart people. The conversation revolved around whether or not they really exist and if the Swiss aren't just as bad. Well I can now report that they do exist and can also be sighted at Target. During our first shopping excursion we spotted a woman wearing flannel pajama pants featuring the Disney Chipmunks design (way to stay classy), slippers and an over-sized hoodie. This woman was as old as I am - that is 50 plus. US society has become overwhelming casual and my style has become more formal after living for 19 plus years in Switzerland. Say what you want about the Swiss but most people look put together when they are out and about.  I guess I'll need to adjust my style to fit in. The next challenge has been the dog. People are always coming up and asking to pet our dog and recognize her as a Bernese Mountain Dog. However she is welcome almost nowhere and walking her near "pet friendly" hotels is a challenge as most of these hotels are either just off the interstate or easily recognizable as the type "no tell motel". I have also had to increase my investigative skills when looking for a trash can after walking her as there are almost none to be found on the street. Where do pedestrians throw their trash away? It's not that there is trash all over. I can only guess that most people aren't on foot, this is the auto nation.

1 comment:

  1. re: looking put together...Funny, I was speaking of this today with my hairdresser..."Casual Friday" has been taken to a new level in the US. Really pajamas in public?! Or the thought will cross my mind "don't you own a mirror"?

    ReplyDelete