Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Sammelsurium or Simply "Stuff"

1.) On my favorite subject of dog-friendly hotels, I suddenly had a thought. It seems that hotels / motels that no sane individual would stay in have now declared themselves "pet friendly". They have now accessed an entirely new market - that's what I call American ingenuity. Also you have to love www.dogfriendly.com. 2.) A friend gave me a copy of the book "Roadside America'. Well the author would do well to include at least basic details as to where these points of interest (I use the term loosely) are located. I believe we saw the entire town of Eau Claire, Wisconsin without finding a trace of the Paul Bunyan statue. In Jamestown, North Dakota we were lucky enough to find a local who could tell us where the World's Largest Buffalo is located - our bad luck was that the park was closed. The same person though told us about the World's Largest Holstein in New Salem, North Dakota (also in the book) and gave us directions. We found it and have photographic evidence!  A discovery we made on our own was the Enchanted Highway in Regent North Dakota. www.enchantedhighway.net. This is a collection of huge metal sculptures along the highway & they are beautiful - this site should be in "Roadside America". 3.) One, meaning me, underestimates how difficult it can be to be in the car for 11 plus hours. I have to toughen up though, because if I had ten cents for every person who said things like "What you in an RV, you won't last" "I ask myself how long you will make it" etc I would be a millionaire. 4.) on a sadder note, it has been hard to see how some people are struggling in this economy. We have encountered more people along the road asking for work & money. It is sobering.

No comments:

Post a Comment