Saturday, September 24, 2011

Sammelsurium or simply "Stuff" volume 10

You really meet a wide range of people when you stay in RV parks, many of them really well-traveled. I always enjoy a short chat but am trying to be more "Zen" when it comes to the people I feel are trying to interview me and cannot buy a clue when they have over stayed their welcome. I have really lowered my standards / expectations about what is acceptable to me as I was well on the way to a heart attack not to mention impossible to be around - I can own my own junk, believe me. So now I can say "Well at least the bathroom is clean, too bad the roof leaks" or "It is a well-maintained park, too bad the laundry facilities date back to 1942". Trying to focus on the positive.

Funny enough, although I am trying to take the high road, there are things that really make me shake my head. In an RV park in Upstate New York we were grilled about our dog's health and had to prove she had a rabies shot (not a problem, we're prepared). Imagine my surprise when I went to check out the restrooms and showers - let's just say the Health Department wouldn't have been amused. Maybe their questions about the dog's health were to make sure she wouldn't be getting sick due to the sorry hygiene standards.

Funny enough in this age where a lot of people do yoga or work out, most RV parks don't have any space available to exercise. Plenty of people power walk in the RV parks but that's a little difficult in inclement weather. So far we have only stayed in two "fitness friendly" parks - one in British Columbia and one in Kennebunkport, Maine. I could see this as a real marketing niche.

Lastly, we are really lucky to be able to afford this long trip through the US. However it is really sad to see how many RV parks and grocery stores are collecting food for the local food pantries. It is sobering to see just how many people are suffering. Truly tragic.

2 comments:

  1. ...which then also puts lacking exercise equipment or outdated laundry facilities or even a leaking roof into perspective, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete