Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Marketing 101

One would think that business people would be well versed in the psychology of dealing with potential customers, if in fact they would like to be successful. Unfortunately the exact opposite seems to be true. Here are two anecdotes for your "enjoyment".

When we were in New Hampshire, we were lucky enough to be able to stay with friends that we have know since they lived in Switzerland. One afternoon after visiting a museum, Joe and I decided to buy some wine for our hosts. I asked the museum guide if there was a wine store in the area and there was, so he gave us directions. We drove to the store which appeared to have a good selection. While in Alaska we had purchased wine in a wine store which was called "Cupcake" and "Layer Cake" Shiraz which had turned out to be something that we both really enjoyed. When the young man working there (it turns out he was the owner's son) asked what we were looking for, I mentioned "Cupcake" and "Layer Cake". Wrong response for two million dollars! I was informed that I could probably find what I was looking for in the grocery store. I had decided to keep looking on my own without this gentleman's help when the owner, his mother, approached me. She asked what I was looking for and again I was given the helpful hint to go to the grocery store. I wasn't too happy but managed with Joe to select four bottles of wine. When I got to the counter to pay this woman again told me that the kind of wine I was looking for was normally sold at the grocery store! At that point I lost it. I asked her if I looked like I couldn't afford the wine I was purchasing. I also asked her if I looked like a Mad Dog 20/20, Boone's Farm or Ernest & Julio Gallo wine carafe purchasing kind of person? To say she was shocked was an understatement. Instead of saying "Well if you normally like "Layer Cake" you might like blah, blah, blah she chose to play the snooty wine connoisseur. Bad move.

Today, though took the cake. We had experienced difficulties locating the campsite we wanted to stay at in Cape Cod. After finally arriving, I wanted to try and make an appointment to get my hair cut so that we would know how many nights we would need to stay here. Well as soon as Joe turned the engine off, there was a guy knocking at his window. It seems he sells some kind of protective coating that you can use on automobiles, eye glasses, jewelry - the list is endless. He was dying to use this stuff on the Earth Roamer and would give Joe a deal. He was so persistent that I was getting truly po'd, really irritated. I wanted to book my appointment and reserve our site without this guy's pushiness. After I walked away from him, he sent his girlfriend over - at that point I said I didn't want a demo, period. Ixnay on the high pressure, buddy. I guess he felt he could wear me / us down. In the end it was almost comic with me simply walking away - Joe unfortunately didn't have that luxury. So now we are have the Earth Roamer treated tomorrow..... I hope we don't live to regret this!

No comments:

Post a Comment