Sunday, September 4, 2011

Embracing My Outer "Unfashionable-ness"

I am someone who loves to shop and who likes to look nice or as my mother would say "put together". Both of these things are difficult, if not impossible, when traveling in the Earth Roamer. I can certainly shop but space to store things is really at a minimum. Also, as one doesn't have the same facilities to maintain and store clothes, Jack Wolfskin, Columbia, Patagonia etc become the labels of choice. Still, I am attracted to malls like a moth to a flame after all the time we've spent in the wilderness or small towns. Shopping, though, is also problematic because going into a store in my RV-wear makes me very self-conscious - you do need to look like you belong in the store, at least in my opinion. Imagine my surprise as to how positive the shopping experience can be based on two recent experiences, one at the Talbots in Sioux Falls, SD and one at "Milli" in Toronto. At Talbots I was waited on by a woman who did her level best to tell me I looked fine, had a nice figure (although not true due to my packed on menopause weight) etc. At the end of my visit I had purchased a few nice, wearable items and had fun in the process. It was really a pick me up. Then the "Milli" experience. "Milli" is a very upscale Toronto ladies boutique which carries a lot of the labels I just love in Switzerland - Marc Cain, Akris Punto, Strenesse, the list goes on. A good comparison would be Grieder in Zurich. Well the owner, Milli herself, plus all of her employees seemed not to notice that I was wearing RV-wear not to mention Birkenstocks! In fact you would have thought that I was the most fashionably dressed woman they had all ever seen. I did buy very nice things but 100% impossible to wear in the current version of my life. Well, not a problem for the "Milli" staff! Everything was steamed, packed and mailed off to Switzerland! Now I know why this woman is so successful, she meets everyone of her customer's desires and needs not to mention sees beyond the current package.

2 comments:

  1. Sue, you have class and you have style, and this is irrespective of the current version of your life and the current package, so Mrs Talbots and Milli needn't look too far to see this. Even in Jack Wolfskin, Columbia and Patagonia you look decent and put together, your clothes are washed and ironed, all buttons are fixed, they have the right size and don't reveal what they're not supposed to reveal etc. Style is not always about wearing the latest fashion, but also about wearing the right things at the right time and in the right place. People can look good or bad in Akris Punto, and they can look good or bad in Columbia, it all depends on when, where and how. Maybe you can just add an item to your list of business ideas for the post-Earthroamer-time, and publish a book on how to look your best even when travelling from RV camp to RV camp, something like "How to pimp your RV fashion style"... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pep talk & writing a book isn't a bad idea - God knows I'll be able to write from experience!

    ReplyDelete