Thursday, October 13, 2011

Sammelsurium - Special RV Edition Volume 2

I have had to realize that most of the clothes that I brought with me on this trip are wildly inappropriate. Anything that isn't quick dry or requires ironing isn't really a good idea. However finding this type of clothing when you are a 50 plus year old woman with a normal body is next to impossible. Somehow the manufacturers of all of this clothing seem to be of the impression that all of their customers are super skinny under twenty five year olds. The other day we were at "REI" which has a huge selection of clothes. Well I tried on a size 8, then a size 10 before finally buying an ill-fitting pair of size 12 pants. I mentioned to the young man waiting on me that I was finding it almost impossible to find decent outerwear that fit. As he was also under twenty five, all I got was a blank stare in return. I guess the overwhelming opinion of these companies must be that it is the twenty somethings who are going on all these long RV trips, safaris etc - a viewpoint that doesn't reflect reality. I guess Kirstie Alley who now wants people to believe she is a size 6 (hello, it's called vanity sizing of clothing) would get the super wake-up call when she needed a size 20 at "REI"!

We have finally experience RV park Nirvana at an RV park near Gettysburg and one in Maryland. They had super bathroom facilities, a snack bar, a dog run with toys, a shuttle - you name it. So my standards are not pie in the sky ideals - makes me feel much better. The park in Maryland actually had a man who gave a presentation of what to do in and around the area, very cruise ship!

Well just when I'd thought I'd heard it all in regard to my ironing, today there was a new wrinkle. All of the criticism aka back-handed compliments have to date come from women. Fine with me. Today however was truly a trip into new territory. I was in the RV park laundry room ironing when a gentleman (to use the term loosely) walked in to do his laundry. The very first thing he asks is why I am ironing. I said I just like my clothing to look as nice as possible. So then he asks if I think there is something wrong with his appearance as he is single and hasn’t ironed in over thirty years. I said that I hadn't really noticed his appearance nor was I in the habit of critiquing other people. Then he said that irons were going the way of land line phones so I better get with it. So I said a) the demise of irons was a surprise to me considering the high-tech steam irons sell like hotcakes and b) if he was so concerned about my participation in a dying art, maybe he should make a film of my ironing activities and send it to the Smithsonian. As I have purchased an RV ironing board - (oh yes, they exist, but I wish I would have known about the suitcase you can iron on first. This is a tip from a Swiss friend, can't beat the Swiss for thinking out of the box) I will probably confine my ironing activities to the RV, cramped or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment