Friday, October 28, 2011

"Dude, Where's My Car?", Special Key West Edition

Tonight in Key West I had the most fun I have had since high school, believe me. Joe and I had spent a few hours in Key West walking through Fantasy Fest. It was really raining cats and dogs so we decided to try and find a cab to go back to the RV park. Luck was with me and I was able to hail a mini-van cab. As the door opened all I could think was "Dude, where's my car?" as the cab driver was a total hippie and Manfred Man's "Blinded by the Light" was blaring on the radio (his bongo drums were also on the floor!) We hadn't gone a block when our driver saw four more people trying to hail a cab. Next thing you know, after a short price negotiation, they were traveling with us. We went on to pick up six more people and our driver kept track of all our destinations in his head. Our fellow passengers were shouting out things like "Dude, just turn left and you're at my house" or "Hey, let us out here and we'll walk" - let's just say our driver simply followed his own internal GPS to determine who was getting dropped off and in what order. As all this was all going on, our driver provided commentary on the music playing and kept trying to find a better station on the radio. His phone kept ringing and he kept saying things like "I'm trying to get to you man, hang on" or "Dude, I have to drop of a bunch of people first, I'll call you!" As it was really raining, the windows were fogging up. Our driver was yelling "Hey, can anyone see out the back window, I need to back up!" I felt like a high school student in the car with a friend, great feeling. It's important to add that except for one college student all passengers were in the 50 plus range and having no problem dealing with this unorthodox ride. The young man, however, looked shell-shocked like he was ready to bolt the next time the car door opened. Age does have it's advantages.

No comments:

Post a Comment