Friday, July 1, 2011

My Life as a Museum Exhibit

I am a person that likes everything & I do mean everything ironed. I am in fact the über ironer - if that is in fact a word. This has been one of my major challenges on this trip. One comes across RV parks with an ironing board and iron, some with just an ironing board, some with zero ironing utensils. During one of our many visits to Wal-Mart (this can become an addiction, believe me), I bought my own iron. So during our recent stay at an RV park in Whitehorse, Yukon, I saw that they had an ironing board in the laundry room. As we were under no time pressure, I decided to iron a few items of clothing to increase my comfort level on the road. Well, once I started, I became attraction number one. Women were coming in and saying "What, you iron? I haven't ironed in 20 years!" or "Oh my God, you actually use spray starch!" or "Spray starch? What is the reason for using spray starch?" I felt that for these women someone had opened up a time capsule and I had stepped out. A number of women came in to watch me and I have to admit I found it irritating. Was I running around saying "Oh my God, you're wearing pants that are entirely wrinkled!" I guess my efforts to look "put together" as my mother would say put them on the defensive. Still being a bug under the microscope was no picnic.

3 comments:

  1. Sue I must say, I do admire you and I just LOVE your blog posts, they give such a nice extra point of view to Joe's "official" reports! It's like watching a soapie, eagerly waiting for the next episode, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, just to make it clear, only the anticipation is soapie-like, not the content of your blog!! xxx ursula

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your blog. I am sure there is a book in your future. Maybe even a ratings book for RV parks.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete