Thursday, July 28, 2011

Never in the right place at the right time

During all my years of living in Switzerland, I was constantly missing out on special occasions and events in the lives of my friends and family. I thought that things would be different now that we had purchased an apartment in Chicago. This was to be my base here in the States. I thought it be great to have a place of my own and not have to feel like a tourist every time I was visiting. We arrived in early May to begin our RV trip and I saw how weak my father had become. He had been very ill for a very long time but still it was a shock. At the beginning of July I had a very strong feeling that I should go and visit him. I flew to Chicago from Anchorage on July 9th and visited him every day for the next five days. After returning to Alaska, I received an email from my older sister Judi on July 18th saying that I should call my parents home ASAP. I did this immediately and was told my father didn't have much longer to live. He in fact passed away on the 19th, shortly after 6:30 in the morning. As, per my mother's wishes, there was to be no funeral or mass, I did not return to Chicago. As hard as this has been to deal with, I do truly appreciate that I had an opportunity to see my father one last time and say goodbye. It is a daily struggle to accept that he is gone but he is truly now in a better place. I think he would be happy to know that his passing has brought me back in touch with family members I had lost track of. I now know that I should always trust my intuition and make the most of the time I have with family and friends as you never know if it is the last time.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear about your father's passing away! I know very well how you feel about missing out on all the important things in life, and I'm very happy that you still had the opportunity to share some precious time together, treasured memories in our hearts... xxx ursula

    ReplyDelete