Sunday, August 7, 2011

She's Just Not That Into You - I Mean It

In our travels through the Yukon Territory and British Columbia, we have met a number of young women who work seasonally in these areas in the hospitality industry. They seem to have been given the memo which says "dress sexy because that's where the tips are". Try to remember that most of the tourists are either cruise ship tourists or middle-aged RV tourists which means they are probably over 50. It never ceases to amaze me to see men thinking "I've got it all going on, this chick digs me". A particularly good example of this was at Earl's Restaurant in Whitehorse, Yukon. Joe & I were having lunch when two men over 50 came in. As the 20 something waitress gave them the menus, one of the men asked if there were any specials. The waitress replied that there were no specials, everything on the menu was good. So one of the men says to the young lady "Including you?". I thought to myself, "Oh, aren't you the slick one, quite the playboy!" I guess he didn't realize that this young woman would be running back to the kitchen to relay this hideously funny story of how the old man tried to pick her up. All she saw, I'm sure, was the possibility of getting a big tip by playing along. Just FYI, unless you are George Clooney, Harrison Ford, etc most of these women aren't really interested. Just like a dog would like the steak in the butcher's window, these women would like the big tip pretending to be friendly and interested will bring. Hate to break the bubble.

No comments:

Post a Comment