Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I Guess You Can Never Really Escape Grammar School, Sadly.

The living culture is transient in most RV parks - most people stay anywhere from one day to one week. This culture really shifts, though, in the snowbird states. During a recent stay in Tampa I was able to practically time travel back to 6th grade. Joe was away in New York for a consulting job so I was alone. I decided to go into the clubhouse to write some postcards and enjoy some human interaction (Nera our dog is a great companion but not much of a conversationalist). Well I should have saved myself the trouble. I walked in and said hello to the women there. In return I received zero response or acknowledgement. Later I went to the pool and said hello to the maintenance man ( also a park resident) which earned me no response. The only time anyone paid attention to me was when the on-site RV technician came over to fix our faulty shower head. His wife conveniently decided to "stop by" - assessing the competition?!?!? So the popular crowd (aka winter regulars) don't bother with the short term visitors.

I did, though, make an interesting discovery. It seems that seniors are strongly attracted by clip art! It is virtually impossible for them to produce an announcement or flyer without clip art. Chili Cook Off - here we have the steaming bowl of chili, the ladies mystery lunch was a veritable cornucopia of question marks. Hopefully this lifestyle works for all involved but I know I wouldn't last. Although these regulars should be enjoying life, they are still engaging in territorial fights and power struggles. All the clip art in the world can't put a happy face on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment